COVID-19 has disrupted lives and operations of many industries including Mining. It affected the whole supply chain, forcing Mining companies to rethink their operations in order to sustain business during this pandemic while ensuring the health and safety of everyone.
Now that COVID-19 is part of life and operational risks, it is important for everyone to follow Health and Safety Protocols in order to prevent infection and spread of the disease. According to World Health Organization, here are the Basic Things we need to do to Reduce the Risk of COVID-19:
- Clean hands often
- Cough or sneeze in your bent elbow - not your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Limit social gatherings and time spend in crowded places
- Avoid close contact with someone who is sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
In the Mining Sector, it is also important to observe the following Safety and Health Best Practices:
- Observe Social Distancing or spacing of at least 2 meters.
- Increase handwashing.
- Wash or disinfect Personal Protective Equipment.
- Reduce number of on-site personnel as much as possible.
- Increase sanitation of high touch areas.
- Reduce number of personnel in Cage Travels
- Reduce number of personnel in vehicles.
- Implement staggered shifts, lunches, and breaks
- Create visual cues (flags, floor markers, etc.) to guide employees in social distancing.
- Conduct daily health screening of employees
- Encourage reporting of health concerns.
- Regularly communicate and check-in with employees to ensure not only their physical but also mental wellbeing.
- If sick, consider it immediately as a risk, and advised employee to stay at home.
Let us protect our employees and our workplace from the risk of COVID-19!